Monday 4 September 2017

Visiting past lives

Went back to Kendal in the Lake District recently. I lived there for 10 years, left 17 years ago and haven’t been back for about 10-12 years (here's me in Kendal Amateur Dramatic Society in 'No Sex Please We're British! LOL).


This was me treking through the mountains coming down from torrential rain into sunshine in 1991.



I found myself having a nostalgia fest. “Ooo, there’s the leisure centre. I’d

forgotten there was a leisure centre. I saw the Chippendales there.”

“Oh, here’s the college. I did an English course there.”

And so on.

The reason for going was to visit friends, some of which I hadn’t seen for over a decade, and that was fabulous.

At the same time, it was a very surreal experience. The closest analogy is going back in a time machine to a place you knew in the past. Whilst it was exciting on the one hand, I knew instinctively that I was out of sync with my own time. Almost like I was intruding on my old life as I was a very different person then having grown so much in confident since then.

I don’t know if that makes sense, but to summarise, it was very nostalgic as well as being surreal.



No comments:

Post a Comment